Quick Recipes - Spicy Sausage Pasta Bake

If there's one thing I love it's food. And I don't mean just mean love it cause it keeps me alive, I mean real passion for all things edible. Usually sweet, but I'll eat the savoury stuff too!

Now this love for food was slightly dampened a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed with coeliac disease. This meant no more, pasta, bread, pizza and most importantly cake. Which, needless to say was a small dagger to the heart. So finding it hard to deal with, I just rebelled. I ate more cake and more pasta and more bread than I could deal with and my body has had to deal with the consequences. 

But this year, along with so many other big life changes I have made, I decided to give the gluten a rest, which for me is excruciating. To make the transition easier (and more palatable) I have decided to make a lot of products myself, as personally I think, gluten free food is rank. So here begins a couple of "quick recipes", all of which will be gluten free,vegetarian and pretty quick to make.

First up is my Spicy Sausage Pasta Bake. If there's one thing that I do like from the gluten free ranges in the supermarkets, and there is only really one thing, its the pasta. Usually made from rice or corn flour it is a great alternative to normal pasta, however I recommend you stay away from the spaghetti. I am yet to find a brand in which it doesn't just fuse together in a massive heap in the middle of the pan!

So the ingredients are:


Gluten free Penne or Fusilli pasta (enough to cover the base of your dish in a thick layer)

Linda McCartney's Italian Sausages (the only veggie sausages I could find that were gluten free)
1 onion, diced
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
3 tbs of tomato puree
Cheddar cheese, grated to cover your dish
A generous helping of mixed herbs
As much chilli flakes as you can take...
and salt and pepper to season

I have to apologise for my lack of "proper" measurements, I'm the kind of person who just likes to bung things together until they look/taste right.


So first off I boiled my pasta in a little salt water until it was cooked properly, this makes the oven cooking time a lot quicker. While doing this I also sautéed the onion and fried the sausages.





pasta boiled, in with the sautéed onions
Then it was the simple task of just pilling it all together in whatever order you wish! I mixed it all up in the pan I cooked the pasta in as it was nice and easy and then transferred it into my lasagne dish (I cook everything in it which you will soon see) and added the grated cheese on top.

herbs, tomato puree, chilli flakes and chopped tomatoes all added and mixed in the pan

sausage diced and added in the lasagne dish
I then put it into a pre heated oven at 200c for around 30 mins, or until the cheese starts to go golden brown.

cheese melted beautifully, yum! 

The result was a very scrummy, spicy dish which I also had cold the next day for my lunch. I would say that it would properly keep for three days in the fridge and can be easily reheated in the microwave... Enjoy!







Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Scarlett Macaron

Making a little piece of the internet for all the things I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment