Day trip to the big city

Every couple of months I like to jump on a train and brave the bustle of London for the sake of art. Having always had an interest in art, design and architecture, I like to spend a day wondering the streets of London in search of cool new places and I visit some key exhibitions I've read about or looked up on the internet. 
Having been rather busy with work over the last few months, I haven't been able to venture up to London for quite some while so I had quite a list of places I wanted to visit. Some sort of Indian heatwave seems to have hit the shores of England at the moment, and with that in mind I decided to walk to all my locations, giving me time to really take in my surroundings and the glorious weather! 


The sun shining down on South Bank

First stop, Tate Modern. Which not only appeals due to its great overview of the modern art movement up to the present day, but also its simple architecture, stunning views and perhaps my highlight; the bookshop. I often find that I have literally spent hours in the bookshop, discovering new artists and jotting down books on my never ending wish list. 

Next stop was the Serpentine Gallery Pavilion, designed this year by the Japanese architect Sou Fujimoto. This delicate structure works beautifully in the landscape, with its semi transparency allowing you to not only see through to the Serpentine galleries main building, but also blurring the lines of inside and outside space. Fujimoto's work is inspired by the organic and his pavilion reflects this, almost appearing as a passing cloud.


Sou Fujimoto's summer pavilion


People inside look as though they are floating upon a cloud...

A truly beautiful structure made out of a lattice of steel poles


Getting to the Serpentine meant a lovely walk through Hyde Park which was buzzing with life and excitement over the fine weather. It was also a great excuse to grab an ice lolly and have a little sit down, the sun and walking was starting to take its toll...

My last stop was the Royal Academy of Arts Summer Exhibition, an exhibition which I look forward to every year and this year it certainly didn't disappoint! I first started going to the exhibition in my second year of university after having to write a paper on it. Now in its 245th year, the Summer Exhibition is an open-submission (yes anyone can put forward their own masterpiece!) exhibition showcasing well known and new talent in all areas of contemporary art. 
It also gives us ordinary folk the chance to acquire our very own piece of art with most of the pieces on show being for sale and prices starting as low as £20.



With your ticket comes a guide to the exhibition, to make all your notes on the pieces you wish to buy ;)
Having been to the exhibition a number of times now, I love how I am now able to recognise the style of certain artists for example Peter Lawrence. Two years ago I was mesmerised by his piece, "Five for England - Plan of the National Gallery, London, Level 3" so much so that I decided to buy, and I was chuffed to see not one but two of his works in the show this year. Instantly recognisable by his use of wood engraving and the strong inspiration of graphic design in his work, which he studied at art college in Bristol, I may have been tempted to buy again... 


After a long day of walking I was happy to finally relax and meet a friend for dinner in Covent Garden but on my way I seemed to get distracted.

Well it would be rude not too...

As I (very) slowly made my way back to the train station the sun was starting to set and the moon was rising. I was thankful for a great, sunny day in London and definitely won't leave it as long next time, especially as I noted at least four upcoming exhibitions I'm dying to see!


Scarlett Macaron

Making a little piece of the internet for all the things I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment