Adventure seasons back!!




So it's been a long time coming but I'm finally getting back into the adventuring game, and wow it feels good!




The last couple of years have been a complete roller coaster ride for me, with sadly a lot more dips than climbs and one of the things which I used to take for granted had become totally void in my life as a result. Travel. 

So many see escapism as a negative. Running away from your worries and problems will never solve them, right? Well I think wrong, sometimes escaping the confinements of everyday life is exactly what you need to get everything into perspective. And with that in mind I packed my bags and decided to go on a mini adventure, alone...

And that was my next hurdle. 

Apparently it's a massive taboo for young single women to want to holiday alone. Everyone I spoke to and told about my adventure seemed hell bent on making it a negative, "oh Hun, why you going away alone", " I'll come away with you, I'm sure you can find someone to go away with" - these were the constant reactions of people who asked me who I was going with. Now don't get me wrong, it is lovely that people seemed to care but I hated the fact that it seemed as though they pitied me - and ultimately it was something which was my decision. I could have changed the dates I had off, or gone on a shorter break with friends, but that's not what I wanted, and I wanted this next adventure to be for me. So important was it going away for me, due to the years of pale skin I've been collecting, that I wanted to do it my way. I've been on holiday with partners and friends before, and I've had a fantastic time but, especially when going away with groups, you don't always get to do the things that you love. I wanted a selfish holiday, and that's exactly what I got.


Waiting in the airport... Alone!


Yes it felt weird journeying to the airport alone, boarding the plane and sitting in the "spare seat" next to a couple who were so excited to be on their first break together; and then arrive in a foreign country totally alone, but wow was it also empowering. I was excited, I felt accomplished and more than anything I wasn't stuck waiting at the conveyor belt for that one person in your party who's bag is always the last out. 

It's not like I went anywhere particularly adventurous, however I did go all inclusive (why not spoil myself with food and alcohol) which did mean that I would be eating three meals a day, in a restaurant, on a table, alone... This was actually the easy part. I was so consumed and consuming of the food that I didn't miss the company. I also had time to take in the people around me, surrounded by family members and not saying a word to each other for an entire three course meal. If anything, I felt sorry for them. I had chosen to come away alone and expect silence, they had not. 

The trip itself was extremely chilled, I ate, sunbathed, ate, swam, ate oh and did I mention I ate?! I did a little sight seeing of the local area but I mainly just wanted to escape from life for a bit and I really did feel great and come home refreshed. I also came home gagging for my next adventure which, luckily is very soon!




One course from my four course breakfasts (no joking when it comes to food)


Waking up to this view everyday... tough life

Beautiful pink sunsets


Shadow selfie


I think what I learnt most on this trip is that for the first time in a long time I was completely at ease and happy to just be me, by myself. I could handle the slight awkward looks of realisation from others that a young women was actually holidaying alone, and I felt happy to be doing so. Its taught me that, although I have always been seen as independent, I truly can believe that myself now and its taught me to take risks again as although daunting you may end up having one of the greatest experiences you've had in a long time.















So get out there, even if your alone, the adventures worth it! :)

Scarlett Macaron

Making a little piece of the internet for all the things I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment