Finding new creative outlets

I think I have previously mentioned how my life used to be super creative and I miss that, well I have begun a new hoppy which I must say is totally out of the box for me and I'm loving it!

It all started when I was wanting to find a piece of art to go on my wall at home. Like many renters, I find it really hard to personalise my space and make it truly mine when your not allowed to decorate. Magnolia walls just aren't that personal are they? 
So after trailing through quite possibly the best thing to ever happen to the internet, Pinterest, I thought to myself why don't I just make a piece of art to go on the wall, surely its not that hard... Little did I know.

For my wall in my living room I wanted a bold, colourful piece of abstract work, that way it could move with me anywhere I go and it wouldn't have to fit in with a particular colour scheme. I have never really been one for creating abstract work. I'm a very precise, organised type of person who usually draws with a fine line pen, but I thought why not, its a challenge and if it doesn't work out I wont have spent a fortune to make it. So I went off to my local craft store and brought myself some acrylics and a canvas. My local store also happens to be a bit of a mega store for craft and I quite often love to go  there just to peruse the aisles and gain inspiration. If you have a Hobbycraft near you I highly recommend a visit. They do EVERYTHING art, craft and design related and can bring out the crafty person in anyone!

Ok, so I brought all my bits and pieces home and then it hit me. What am I going to do. I just painted, I grabbed my brushes and I started to inflict the beautiful white canvas with my awkward brush strokes, but once I begun that was it, I was off. However, having no real idea or direction in my head the paining really was an experiment. It took me weeks to do and went through so many different stages I thought I would share some with you.



First application and I (obviously!) didn't really know what to do...



Here I had started to add more colour however it was still looking very dull and somber
This is halfway through my realisation that the grey just had to go... So why not green?!


Before this image I was really struggling with this painting and was ready to give up, the dullness of the grey was just so hard to disguise and reinvent that I thought that I had totally ruin it, but I think, it just proves that carrying on through and you really can turn things around.

Eventually I got there and this is the finished piece up in my lounge for all to see. 




I really am proud of this piece as it is something which I have never tried before and I enjoyed thoroughly. Painting abstract art is something, I feel that is totally about letting go and just laying everything on the canvas, and I have found it beneficial not only in the results I am achieving but the calmness and serenity I feel when I paint. Ive now got the bug and will be painting many more abstract pieces, Im just not totally sure where I will hang them all...

Up in my flat for all to see :)

Scarlett Macaron

Making a little piece of the internet for all the things I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment