My love affair with Liverpool (Pt 1)

Having lived in the North West of England for the last year and a half I have truly come to appreciate just how beautiful an area of the country it is. Before, I must admit, I was completely naive and ignorant to the beauty, wonder and charm of this area. In fact not only of the area but of the people too, so thank you so much to all you lovely northerners out there who have made this little southern girl feel so at home. Even if I do ask you to repeat yourselves every other sentence!

Anyway...

Every week I take the 20 odd minute journey up to Liverpool for a job however I have never really taken the time to explore the city until now. Having a weekday off with the sun out and schools back was a great excuse to go an explore this vibrant and bustling city which has gone through so much change and development recently, that I could wait to see what it had to offer.


I found myself parking a little out of the main city just north of Brunswick Dock, which was actually a blessing as not only was it free but it gave me the opportunity to walk along the river and take in the city in from afar. With it's abandoned mill buildings littering the docklands and examples of new architectural delights, the Liverpool skyline is something quite beautiful day and night. That's what I really like about the North. The marrying of old and new forms, which although juxtaposed, seem to flow, intertwined and connect quite harmoniously.

Just one of many beautiful old brewery buildings which litter the Liverpool dockside

An area which highlights this beautifully is Albert Dock. With the famous Royal Liver Building on one side, the docks to the other, the Museum of Liverpool is sandwiched between these two giants and, although all three are not only different architectural styles and eras, they seem to work together - highlighting the progression and movement of this cultural diverse city, the European city of culture in 2008.



Where old meets new: the Museum of Liverpool working as a stunning introduction to the Royal Liver Building on the left


Walking around Albert Dock you feel as if you have been transported back to the great shipping era, with its heritage still intact, its the perfect backdrop for the most legendary band of all times exhibition space - The Beatles Story. Albert Dock is also a great setting for Tate Liverpool, bringing the greats, past and present to Liverpool, most recently exhibited here was a truly inspiring exhibition of the works of Andy Warhol. 




Albert Dock on a sunny day 







The heavily criticised "ugliest" building of 2011 which houses the Museum of Liverpool, designed by 3XN




However the inside of the Museum of Liverpool is rather harmonious, using curves to invite visitors up and into the gallery spaces
I really do love Liverpool and this trip was just the beginning of my love affair with this great city, which has a sexy dark side to it too. Until next time, where I promise to divulge a bit about Liverpool's many scrumptious places to eat and eclectic cocktail bars, I will be thinking of you <3

Scarlett Macaron

Making a little piece of the internet for all the things I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment