Personal painting - Hydrangeas

Since my last blog post on my newest hobby, painting, I have started to become even more wrapped up in the world of calming colour and I am really enjoying my most recent past time. I've also been getting a lot of positive feedback and comments from people so I would like to thank everyone for that. It's something which started out as a bit of fun but the fact that people seem to think I'm not too bad at it is a definite bonus!

So I am very much lusting over sunny days and warmer climates of late. It feels like we have been stuck in this land of grey and drizzle for a lifetime and this lusting has certainly been becoming apparent in my painting recently. One of the main reasons I think I like spring and summer so much is the flowers. I just love flowers of all kinds and in particular my favourite flower is the hydrangea.

Although these flowers are uber common, I feel that they simply represent warm times and in fact also family to me.I remember as a child I would go a visit my grandma and she would have an abundance of hydrangea bushes poking out of every crevice of her garden. Bright pinks, muted yellows, powerful purple and, I didn't realise until recently, the slightly rarer powder blue. Apparently its something to do with the pH level in your soil which determines the colour of your hydrangeas, and down in the south of England we're lucky enough to get the blue flowers naturally.

Anyhow... Here's a little sneak of progress pics for this painting. It took me a while this one, namely because I started to get sick of the colour green, but I'm glad I powered through!



My palette, yes its an ice cream tub lid - its a great surface for mixing colour!


This painting started off particularly yellow which wasn't the look I was intending...

As I added more green I started to really like this one :)

So after a couple weeks of mellow yellow and a long break, I really sat down and worked on changing this one around. It took two full days of slaving (I've definitely had worse days!) away with the paint brush but I finally ended up with an image that I am truly proud of. This is the first painting which I have created which, even if only slightly, had an actual inspiration and object behind it and I'm kinda proud of the results. 


The final piece


It has however left me pining for that sunshine and warmer weather even more! I think a holiday is on the cards...

Scarlett Macaron

Making a little piece of the internet for all the things I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment