Books to make you think

So apparently February is ‘library lovers month’, so I thought what better way to celebrate than sharing with you some of my favourite books which have a little meaning, or “juice”, to them. 





I’m not a big reader but when I do like something I get hooked. A prime example of this is the Harry Potter books, but everyone’s read those right?! So here are some other books, which are probably more age appropriate to myself and which not only have great meaning behind them, but have also had an impact on me as a person. I hope that these books can help you like they helped me.




Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer
On a gloomy day off with nothing to do, I went to Netflix and looked for something to entertain me for a couple of hours. Into the Wild, came up and by my own interpretation of the blurb I thought would be a fairly easy going adventure film so I decided to give it a go. Two and a half hours later and I was hysterical. I was so moved by the story that I couldn’t contain myself, I also needed to know more so I hopped on the internet and started googling away, to find that the film was greatly helped by the research and writing of a book written about the real life story of Christopher McCandless by Jon Krakauer. So thats pretty much all I can say without ruining it. Oh and read the book first, then watch the film. You won’t be disappointed. 




In Praise of Shadows, Junichiro Tanizaki
So this one is a little bit out there. Given to me by a great friend during university, it reminds you the importance of appreciation and mindfulness. It also teaches you the beauty of the most simplest of objects if you just really look at them.




Ways of Seeing, John Berger
Another book from my uni days, Ways of Seeing, challenges the way in which we see and read art, and I think, challenges life’s observations in general. It makes you think beyond what is put in front of you and think about the context in which that particular image may have been made and its influences from taste, class, civilisation and ultimately, truth.




A Million Little Pieces and My Friend Leonard, James Frey
Never have I read something so emotionally charged and moving until I read A Million Little Pieces. I started reading this book toward the end of a very difficult time in my life and, wow, it made me think about my life and actually how things weren’t perhaps as bad as they seemed. My Friend Leonard is the follow up story of the main character. Read them back to back, and yes you will go through an emotional rollercoaster but it will also make you really think about life, your choices and where you want to head in the world.



Tao Te Ching, Lao Tzu
This book came to my attention simply due to the fact that James Frey writes about it, a lot, in A Million Little Pieces. It’s a little book of 81 short passages on life, peace and humility. It makes you think and makes you feel positive, and I like that.

Now I understand that my choice of books is rather biased due to my own personal interests but even if some of these don’t appeal to you I urge you to go have a gander around your local library. Not only are they great places of inspiration and wonder but its also quite healthy to get away from all the screens in our lives and actually look at paper now and again, and what couldn’t be better than wondering into a place with the words knowledge waiting for your fingertips.





p.s. I have another great blog post coming up this month in honour of libraries and the beauty of books and the buildings which house them… be sure to check back in

Scarlett Macaron

Making a little piece of the internet for all the things I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment